Thursday, December 20, 2012

Why do I write?

I think this says it all...I started writing because I needed a way to vent, I needed a way to get my voice out into the world, and I need to be the best advocate for my children. Fortunately, I live in a great school district and I haven't had to push too hard, yet. A teacher thanked me for doing all I do for my son. I had to stop and think about that for a minute...you mean to tell me there are Mom's that don't support their children, quirky or normal?

Maybe I don't get it because my Mom was my advocate. There were many times she stormed into the school just knowing that the administration had to just listen. One particular time, she confronted my gym teacher. The gym teacher used to pick on me because I was fat kid who couldn't do a cartwheel. I didn't like the sensation of flipping over and being upside down. She left a legacy of many tirades right into the superintendent's office WITHOUT an appointment. I was a lucky kid. My Mom left this world March, 2011. She had cancer. I miss her laugh, her unconditional love, her support, her spunk...I just miss her. Before she passed, she and I had a conversation about life, children, my brothers, my Dad, her wishes...everything. She told me to not give up on my husband. She also told me that my son was special and I really needed to keep pursuing a diagnosis. So, here I am, not giving up.

This is my most favorite picture of my Mom. Young, cancer free, and smiling.



No comments:

Post a Comment