Friday, January 18, 2013

PDD-NOS...so, now what?





Since the fall of 2011 and actually, now that I think of it, even longer since Super E was about 18 months old, I noticed there were some quirks. Back then, I just thought, "Oh! It's nothing really. He will grow out of this or that...not my child." I let people influence that thought in the beginning.

Something inside of me changed. I think the "Big Mama Bear" gene came out! You don't tell me that there is nothing wrong with my child and make me feel like I am crazy! I am by no means a loud person or someone that "grabs the bull by the horns" and go off on someone. Maybe a little when I was younger. Now that I am in my 30's, I have a quiet strength (the most dangerous kind). I tend to people watch. Constantly looking at their actions and reactions. Most often peeling myself to the wall, hiding or kind of lurking (Creepy? I know, right?)

I've been pushing for a more definitive diagnosis. Disruptive Behavior Disorder is not the right diagnosis. It didn't sit right. I don't know how I knew, but I KNEW! I honestly feel that the previous doctors really just did not want to be bothered with my child. I had the feeling from them that he wasn't severe enough to warrant their time. Supposed to be a great place for children...maybe for some.

In retrospect, I think I was more prepared for the new doctor. I gathered evidence, made notes, took video...SuperE has a medical binder now! Perhaps, if I had been better prepared, the results would have been different. I believe that God sends us on a path and sometimes we make the wrong turns. I made a wrong turn. However, I continued to pray, to fight, to persevere...

Don't give up. We, as parents, must step up and take action. Even if your child is "normal", you still need to fight for you kids. High school parents in our school district need to fight for bus service. I say keep fighting. You can't make change if you don't speak up!

Official diagnoses: ADHD, OCD, SPD, speech/language delay and the newest, PDD-NOS..so, now what?

This Mom is going to fight not only for her child, but I am going to fight like crazy for your child! I am going to become an advocate. I am going to help other parents find the resources, the help, and the support that they need.

I WILL NOT GIVE UP! I am not going to sit down and cry. I am not letting the enemy win this time! I am going to get up off my behind and DO SOMETHING...just like my Brownies' journey...IT'S MY WORLD AND I AM CHANGING IT!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to find your blog. My son was recently diagnosed with PDD NOS as well as SPD.
    Looking forward to reading more of your story

    Ours is at www.AVersionofPerfection.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete