Thursday, April 11, 2013

Wilbargers Brushing Protocol and Joint Compressions Day 1

This morning I started using the Wilbargers Brushing Protocol with SuperE. I did it with only reading the paper and my Dad giving me instructions. I didn't do it right! This morning was one of the roughest we've had this year. It was raining this morning, the bus was late, and SuperE couldn't understand why I would not let him take his MobiGo to school.

For starters, the rain brings out the meltdown every time it rains in the morning! He was wearing a raincoat and was still cringing every time a drop of rain came down...it was a downpour. I don't know if it is the sound of the rain or simply it is just because it is water. SuperE also hates bath time...often obsessing about water being poured over his head or even laying down in the tub because he might drown.

It is recommended that you do the brushing and joint compressions every 2 hours. That is just not going to happen. The therapist did tell us to try 3 times a day. I am hoping the new sitter is willing to try the technique eventually. So, here we go only doing it 2 times a day.

I feel prepared and ready to try this tonight! I have watched a few YouTube videos, more advice from OT, and also instruction from the PT at school. Here goes nothing...I will let you all know how it goes but in the meantime, for more information, check out the following website that explains this therapy:

http://www.nationalautismresources.com/wilbarger-protocol.html

No comments:

Post a Comment